Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Day the World Changed

Well, wouldn't you know that the day that I write a blog about being overdue I go into labor!  The evening of December 2nd was the beginning of the end, here is the story...

Sunday evening around 6 PM I started having contractions.  I had been having contractions off and on for a couple weeks but they always went away when I changed activities so as I showered, walked, and ate I waited for them to go away and the didn't!   They began to get stronger and closer together, and when I could no longer talk during them we decided to head to the hospital (about midnight).  We arrived at the hospital with 5 bags, just in case. We were ready to stay and thankfully they admitted me!  I was dilated to 4 cm with a "bulging bag" and my contractions were 2 minutes apart.  From there everything went textbook!  Dr. Keller broke my water at 7cm and the real fun began...

*WARNING* *GRAPHIC*
I went into transition labor immediately and began throwing up, a lot, which I 
welcomed because it distracted from the nightmare contractions.  This lasted for a couple 
hours and then it was time to push!  14 total hours and Everett Raymond made his debut at 9:03 AM on December 3rd!

**Interesting facts about December 3rd:
Everett Huffman (Everett's namesake) died on December 3rd 32 years ago, we did not know this until after his birth and long after we chose his name, crazy!

This is grandpa Striley and our neice Cami's birthday!


I was lucky enough to not only have Doug who was my rock and such a support but my sister who is a Labor and Delivery nurse and our Doula.  With these two people at my side I was able to have my unmedicated labor... that's right people, no drugs!  Am I glad I did it?  Hell yeah!  I felt like a warrior, like Mother Earth, like I finally achieved what my body was created to do, what I was meant to do my entire life.  It was incredibly powerful.  Will I do it again?  I can resoundingly say, HELL NO!  Give me a fatty epidural next time!  Here are some photos from Everett's birthday.

Photobucket
Weighing in at 8lbs 11oz!

Photobucket
Daddy cuts the cord

Photobucket
Our little smurf! The purple went away pretty quick!

Everett is now over 2 weeks old and each day is an experience.  Sometimes I feel like I cannot get off the couch and am covered in milk... but I do believe it is the best thing in the entire world.

No comments: